Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Dummy Gap Fade - j2 Global Communications, Inc. (Public, NASDAQ:JCOM)

The first chart is the daily timeframe which highlights the pivot points I was looking at in pre-market for a potential short. At the time, JCOM was trading above $32.00, however, in the minutes prior to the open, it fell sharply.

The next chart is the 15 minute timeframe which shows that my pre-market setup was invalidated on the open when both pivots were captured by the OR bar.


These next two charts are 5 minutes and highlight my entry and exits.

My first trade was a short which I based on a potential retracement of the ORL to the first swing high. I was hoping for at 62% retracement, but I only got 50%. I traded it textbook style, trailing a stop above the previous bar high and I was stopped out for a tiny profit.

When price closed above $32.00, I decided to take the next low risk entry long, either a B&B at the morning swing high or a NRB. My NRB (inside) popped up almost immediately and I was long. A few bars later JCOM carved out a NR7 inside bar at the cusp of the round $ number and that's when price expanded in earnest. I booked at partial as price closed the gap and trailed my stop on the balance. Another entry was taken late in the session on a B&B setup.



No comments: