Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Trading Not to Lose - VMware, Inc. (Public, NYSE:VMW)

VMW gapped wide on huge volume. It was trading in the daily spot - all time lows with no support. The fourth 15 min. bar printed NRIB NR7, but the down sloping 5 period EMA was miles above price. In order for a trade like this work, you need a wide BO bar with enough muscle to pull the 5 EMA down closer to price.

The 1 minute chart shows a perfect 3 PP base. Each pivot off of the base carves out lower high (ABC). It's obvious that the base will break, so I take the trade. Each time price makes a lower low, I tighten stop. Partial out after price breaches whole number and takes it back. As price consolidates the first leg down, it prints a lower low and immediately, moves back into the trading range. At that point, I'm on notice that the trade might fail, so I tighten stop on second half just above the pivot highs of the consolidation range.

As we can see on the next 15 min. frame, we had a solid BO bar which closed on its lows, on higher volume. The move pulled the 5 EMA almost 2 points lower from $42.48 to $40.66. However, it still wasn't touching the top of the BO bar and we know that price and the 5 EMA are like magnets and eventually have to come together.

The setup was half baked on the 15 min. and failed to generate a big extension, but I knew what I was getting into. I wanted to post an example of trading not to lose, because I sometimes discuss it in the comments.

Not recommended for new traders. But if you get in a jam, this strategy might be helpful.

6 comments:

bl said...

Nice trade and comments. Only thing I would add is: in first 15 min rallies 3 pts and hits prev all time low resistance of 41.4 ish, 13 ema and reversed(1 min chart). later hits the flattening 50 ema and rallied 2 pts(1 min chart). This is the kind of stock one could go long and short for the day if you can find the "rhythm". thanks

Jon said...

Jamie,

We traded this the exact same way. I thought it was a nice, quick one before the market started to rally.

TJ said...

Jonathan,

Yeah, I love the 3 PP base. It usually gives a fast move when the base breaks.

QQQBall said...

nifty trade and awesome trade management. congrats!

TJ said...

Thanks QQQ

TJ said...

BL,

Good observations. I'm not nimble enough to play that strategy, but hats off to those who can.